Legends and History
Koodalmanikya Swami is often called Sangameswara. There is a story behind this name. Once a Brahmin in Taliparambu decided to collect the chaithanya of idols of important temples in Kerala for being transferred to the idol of Lord Mahadeva in Taliparambu temple. This he did by entering the Sanctum Sanctorum of the temples he visited and transferring the Chaithanya on to the conch in his possession. When he did the same in Irinjalakuda he accidentally fell down and the conch was broken instantly transferring the divinity of all idols he had acquired on to the idol at Irinjlakuda. Thus the idol in which merged the divine Chaithanya of several idols came to be known as Sangameswara. The Namboodiri Brahmins associated with the temple still make all their Sevaas in the name of Shiva, Vishnu and Devi at Sangamesa Sannidhi itself.
There are beautiful mythologies regarding the origin of the name 'Koodal Manikyam'. Once the idol of this temple radiated magnificent light that excelled manikyam (a mythological precious stone believed to be kept and protected by divine serpents). A manikyam kept in the Kayamkulam palace was brought to this temple to compare with the idol and to see which emits more light, on promise to return after comparison. When the Manikyam was brought near the idol it got merged with the idol. koodal manikyam means merger of manikyam and thus the name Koodalmanikyam. Since the temple authorities were unable to return the manikyam to Kayamkulam king, the whole temple was handed over to him as a compensation. Due to the administrative difficulty the king of Kayamkulam handed over the right of the temple administration to one Thatchudaya Kaimal and it was his family which handled the temple till 1971. Koodalmanickyam is the Malayalam translation of the Sanskrit word Sangameswara. Similar brightness is reported to have appeared on the idol once again, much later in 1907.